View Single Post
Old 10-29-2001, 11:41 AM   #4
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I've just remembered something a friend and teacher told me a long while ago..

She told me to think of a watch, with its leather strap, gears, cogs and delicate, precise pieces.
Then she told me to imagine that same watch breaking up into its components, and those components into their base materials (plastics, metals, cowhide, glass)
She told me to imagine the materials that went into the construction of the watch all in their basest forms in the natural world. Then she told me to imagine all those pieces forming and coming together into gears, cogs, straps, hands.
Then from all over the world, those pieces had to come together, in precise order, to form a perfectly precise timepiece. She asked me if it was possible that this could happen, and I said yes, I could see it happening.
Then she asked me, could I see this happening thousands of years ago, before humans learnt the craft of watchmaking, all the pieces and materials spontaneously coming together of their own accord by chance and forming a watch.
I said no.
Then she told me to think of the human body. A human body is an infintely more complex device than a watch, containing billions of cells, hundreds of different components, DNA and genetics. If a simple watch could not come together precisely, then what are the chances of a perfectly normal, healthy human being coming from the thousands of possibly paths the theory of evolution could take, and become the most intelligent, dominant species on Earth? All it takes is one chromosome, some missing strand of billions of DNA chains to make a human become mentally retarded, or a gibbering idiot, or some such.
When one looks at the odds of a human being forming totally on its own, let alone the entire natural world, the entire universe, from solar system to distant stars forming into a perfect functioning order, its impossible NOT to see the hand of a greater power, a creator at work.
Here, Science actually complements Religious Faith.
If the creation of life is something we humans are only on the brink of discovering after thousands of years, then what are the chances of it happening on its own?

------------------
No-Name Face