View Single Post
Old 09-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
But the universe isn't like a painting, which is made, and is as it is. Nor am I, nor are you, nor is anything. All of life changes constantly, from one microsecond to the next, from the quantum level up to what we can see and experience.

If we worshiped each other, ourselves and the moon, and the earth, then I believe we would have more care, love and respect for these things. I see nothing wrong in that. With my body I thee worship. I like that. And with my mind and my spirit too.

I wasn't saying prayer and magic were totally the same, only that there is something of the same energy in both. Passion. Love. Ritual doesn't have to be about 'getting' something either. It can be about finding oneself in the act.

I also pray, although I call it meditation. For me, prayer and meditation are communication, communication with the essence of myself, and then moving out, beyond the barriers of the ego, into communion with the whole, which is a divine and transcendent experience (as is true, in the moment, communication with the self.)

Well, I disagree. Meditation is an emptying of the mind. Clearing it of clutter, focussing on thinking nothing or concentrating on a singular thought. One can meditate and pray. Were they the same one could not. Prayer is I repeat communicating with the Creator. The intent and application are totally different. It is conversation. It involves using the mind.

Regarding the earth not being a painting, no of course not. It was an analogy. My belief remains however that universe is a work of art. As an artist I see evidence of such all the time. I also see a seperate artist, and used the analogy to illustrate (however badly) an effect of pantheist thought.

Regarding your speculation on the effect of self-worship, it is just that. If we all followed the words of Jesus we'd have a very peaceful world too.
I believe, that self love taken to the extreme - selfishness at the expense of others - is the root cause of much inconsideration, pain and destruction.

The awareness that a God cares for you enough to breathe life in you, and die for you can give a balanced self-love. Tempered with humility in the face of such power.

Surely we all know the danger of hubris.

Finally, I am a creature of breaking habits. Spontanaity rather than ritual for me. If I get into a ritualised rut I seek to break it. But not all the time (that would be a ritual) I concur that we humans are creatures of habit and ritual, and that for some it provides a measure of comfort and security. For me, life is most exciting when the rules change, when the boundaries move, and when the unexpected occurs.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!