View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
I don't think a F/Ill should be the main spellcaster and backup tank. I prefer to optimize it as a tank and carry a full mage (not just a bard), preferably a mc, as the primary offensive caster. For me, HoF is all about maximizing spell capability and blending it with capable meleers.
Wait, when you say your main mage should be a mc, do you mean mage/cleric or multiclassed? I'm not a big fan of mage/clerics because I think it's cool to have every member get ** in a missile weapon, so I try to have every character (except the bard, of course) be part fighter or ranger. I also think that multiclassing two spellcasting classes limits your spell output. If you have a fighter/mage AND a ranger/cleric, they can both cast a spell in combat. Just a difference in tactics, I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
The problem with using your bard to cast in combat is that it takes a full round for the singing effects to kick in again. It's not like IWD2 where the Lingering Song feat allows you to stop singing and cast without losing song effects. When in melee against strong opponents, that 10% resistance to melee damage may actually be more valuable for character survival than most spells your bard can cast.
I usually try to open combat with a fireball, skulltrap, or some other ranged damage spell with my bard, and then start singing and backing up my tanks. The reason I favor a gnome F/T tank is because I love having him evade that fireball from my bard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dancing Virginia:
So all things being equal, you all would propose a magic-heavy party?
The problem in IWD1 is that all arcane casters need scrolls, and there is a shortage (and they get expensive too). You can probably carry 3 maximum, as long as you only have 1 "main" mage. Having one guy concentrate on defensive spells and using him as a spellsword works well too.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote