View Single Post
Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: Feature request: transparancy for smallpics

I think there may already may be a request for this, I d o know that this has been talked about in the roums several times. (Maybe the request is to alter sprites.)

First off, technically speaking, none of the graphics can just be loaded from FRUA. They have all been converted by some kind person.
Sprites: They don't have to be 3 frames. FRUA sprites are 3 frames. Using auto-approach works with 3 frames; but both Dinonykos and I have used 1 frame sprites and I have (quite a while ago) successfully loaded and animated a 5 frame sprite. The problem is that they disappear as soon as thy're done displaying
Small pics: the difference between a static and animating small pic is number of frames - FRUA animation is comparable. I'm not sure what you mean by the walls bit, as by definition, small pics are not walls and vice versa. The wall animating request is different than small pics (walls are more like sprites anyways)

Here's how I feel about sprites vs. small pics: small pics should not have tranxparency, we should just change sprites to work in a way that they are currently not to satisfy the "gap".

If it wasn't for FRUA compatibility (whatever that means these days) I say we should get rid of sprites and instead offer the designer the option for a "viewport" picture that can behave like the current small pi AND sprite (plus any additional stuff); give the same capabilities to big pics, so that we could have animated big pics and then also have a use definable third size/shape that has the same capabilities.
Actually, this could still allow the importing of FRUA designs, since the artwork is placed by name not function and is not done automatically for small pics/sprites anyways.

Did any of that make sense? I know what I'm thinkoing, but I feel I may have jumbled it a bit on the explanation...