View Single Post
Old 03-28-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

aw Jon - wish we could make it run for you!!!

Bungleau - I learned to try to move away from the slimes and then use my bow on them. Kept meaning to try doing a backflip but always forgot to do it.

I think there are a lot of doors which "need an item" that isn't provided in the demo.

For the sake of the demo and the press build - I think they chose this area because they can show several different types of environment in a relatively limited area. I really would have preferred having 1 quest that I could complete within the demo. Other demos I have tried do just that - which gives a sense of accomplishment that I didn't feel with this one.

It worries me that this game doesn't work WITH Windows - not just ON a Windows system, if you understand my meaning. Alt-Tab should not be a game killer. Of course, I'll still be able to play the game but by this time HP ought to be working WITH Windows.

SEWERS - I never played M&M9 so it couldn't be that game. I'm sure it wasn't Dungeon Siege and I don't think it was Wiz8. There was just something so familiar about the feel and look of those sewers.

Level 1 chests - snore - I guess within the real game we'll probably not be finding many level 1 chests when it is pretty safe to assume that players have improved their disarming skills - but there has to be a better way to handle a more advanced character disarming the level 1 chests than to drag it out for so long. That's a counter "fun" move.

IF, in the real game, a more difficult chest will contain more valueable loot - we'll probably all get to the point where we just skip any level 1 chests as not worth the time. The demo doesn't demonstrate that though - I saw no relationship between the difficulty of the chest and the goodies inside.

It also seems that when you find a duplicate weapon you do not bother to pick it up (rusty sword discarded). That may be a good thing but on the other hand I was thinking of all the money I would loose by not having those items to sell and figured that in the early game I would be wanting every piece of gold I could lay my hands on. You really can't tell from this demo.

On a side note: I had to check out the save files just to see what could or could not be done:

Stats are hackable - at least the basic ones like strength, vitality, etc. Life points seem to be stored in some sort of "double checks" system, so I could up the life points but they would end up being reset if I did any character increases but the basic stats would remain as I had hacked them or accept an increase if I spent my points on buying an increase.

I did not find in the save file that items are stored as they were in W&W so at this point, I'm not sure if I will ever be able to help someone with lost items.

I really haven't devoted that much time to looking through the save files to see what can be done. I'm sure I could probably figure out how to make more extensive changes but I was exploring this more out of curiousity than any thing else.

I missed the Skull Key but, given the comments that it doesn't open anything, that seems to be of no great importance.

I did find that I pushed forward a lot more aggressively than I do in a real game because there were no "safe" options (such as returning to a town) to use. I didn't explore everything as thoroughly as I normally do.

And as with any game: SAVE SAVE SAVE

I really didn't die as many times as my previous post might have indicated - I just thought that was a funny way to present the whole topic.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote