View Single Post
Old 07-26-2002, 03:56 AM   #7
the_young_one
Manshoon

Willow & Bungleau, I think you've put in a wonderful effort creating the index and lists. I've looked at the items and there is a lot of duplication and the solutions are actually few in number. Why don't you simplify the list into three new threads:

1. Read this if you're playing the game in Windows 2000 or XP
2. Technical problems with graphics/sound/memory
3. Known problems in the game and some workarounds

In thread 1, include a list of the symptoms and problems
e.g.
- cannot enter buildings in town
- game freezes when opening chests
- game freezes when casting spells

and then paste one set of instructions to install virtual dub

In thread 2, cut and paste the steps for reinstalling directX 8, TNT graphics conflict, sound cards, memory settings etc

In 3. Put the guidelines upfront and a warning that this section includes spoilers. To keep this short and simple, my suggestion would be describe the problem and give the workaround

e.g.
Problem: Game freezes when I get bitten by Adrianna in Skull Castle
Solution: Install the patch (add link) which fixes this known problem

Problem: Cannot give toad potion to Mekdawa
Solution: Make sure you go to icon menu, select give/use, scroll to potion, and then point to Mekdawa and click.

Problem: Cannot give dragon arrow to Torin
Solution: His inventory may be full. Try buying or exchanging items or else pickpocket him until you free up a slot in his inventory

Problem: Game crashes when I'm fighting Cet
Soultion: Reload a saved game and try fighting Cet from the left hand side, up against the wall.

Problem: My ship is stuck next to Talrik's place
Solution: Create a portal and cast teleport on the ship

I suggest that you lock these three threads at the top so that they remain visible and also avoid cluttering.

If you want, create a fourth thread "Unsolved problems" where readers can paste their problems (probably best to highlight that they should check the above three threads before posting). However, it seems that readers just create a new thread when they have a problems, so this fourth thread may or may not be necessary..

good luck..
the_young_one is offline   Reply With Quote