View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #261
Deiter Leafblade
Emerald Dragon

"If you don't hold still I'm going to cut that arm off instead of stitch it!" Jin scowled at the soldier next to her. He was being difficult with her on the matter of stitching up a deep cut on his arm. "I don't trust you with that needle! You crazy wench! I saw you coming through here hurting everyone instead of helping." The soldier looked at her defiantly as she took a step back. "Well, then I suppose I'll come back later when your arm needs removed." She sat the needle next to his bed and moved to another.

"Is she always so... unorthodox? She needs to be calm and soothing for these men, not fighting with them and being threatening." An older woman commented to Avis. "Jin means well. She wants these men to live, and feels she doesn't need to coddle them. Her fiery spirit is attractive." The woman raised an eyebrow at what Avis had just said, but didn't voice her opinion.

Jin shrugged the hand off as soon as she felt it. Turning, she saw Avis standing there watching her intently. "You should get some rest. I can see in your eyes how tired you are. There isn't anything wrong with regaining your energy to help the men later." She knew he spoke the truth, but hated to show a sign of weakness when she could continue to help the wounded.

Stepping closer to her, Avis placed his hands on her shoulders and gave a slight squeeze. Jin could feel his breath against her face, and she felt nauseous at the look he was giving her. "I could treat you to some dinner before you turn in for the night." She could tell he was after more than just dinner as a crooked grin barely made itself visible. Everything finally came crashing down in realization like putting a puzzle together. All those nights Avis had offered to say with her to help the sick, the odd stares she would notice from him, everything made sense now.

"I'm not hungry." She told him curtly. Knocking his arms way, she stormed out of the infirmary furious at what he had done and been suggesting. He's nearly old enough to be my grandfather! Damn pervert... Has to just make my life more difficult doesn't he?! Glaring at anyone who dared to look at her, she made her way to a small room located in the servant’s quarters. Not bothering to change out of her bloody uniform, she sat down at a desk and began to write.

Dear Bradley,

I apologize this letter is two months late in reply to your last response. Life is hectic as usual and it slipped my mind.

I'm writing to you to let you know I may be leaving Alesbridge soon. My mentor, Avis Gaviel, has apparently taken a great interest in me. His lecherous stares now make sense, and I blame my foolish pride. I thought he was interested in my skill as a healer, but after today I now realize that wasn't the case.

I know you're my older brother, but please don't come out after me. I'm quite capable of taking care of myself, as you can ask any of the staff inside the manor.

How is your health doing these days? I hope that cough you mentioned has gone away now. I became a physician because of you, you know? So you better be taking good care of yourself in my absence.

Your sister,
Jin

Folding the letter away, she felt the hunger pains stab at her and directed her next course of action. She was promptly kicked out of the kitchen as soon as she opened the door. "What the hell is this? I need food, damnit!" To make matters worse, Christen was the one to respond. "We won't have your bloody clothes in here." Drilling holes into the door with her eyes, "Can someone bring me out a bowl of soup then? I can't exactly heal these soldiers with starvation having its way with me." Various curses could be heard directed at the healer as a bowl of soup was shoved at her. Smirking, she quickly gulped it down and left the empty bowl on the floor next to the door.

The food rejuvenated her a little, but what she badly needed was some rest. Sleep can wait. While she didn't want to go back to the infirmary and see Avis, she knew men still needed to be taken care of, especially that man with the wounded arm. Sighing, and wondering why she put up with some of these people, she made her way back into the fray of death.
Deiter Leafblade is offline   Reply With Quote