Thread: picture formats
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Joerg:
Uarghhh... I am back... My ISP got me locked out from the net for 4 weeks...

OK, concerning the files: Color-clarity has nothing to do with the file you are using. As long as it has 16 or 24 bits per pixel, you get the full RGB spectrum for these files. Targa is seriously outdated as a file. TIFF is still industry-standard and works quite well in print. For internet or screen-usage, JPEG, GIF and PNG are the best choices. BMP is not much different than a 24bit PNG - but BMP has no data-compression, making it the least compact of all file-types mentioned.

My personal preference is:

If I need to work with a file: PSD (Photoshop), CPT (Corel Photopaint) or Paintshop-Pro (all formats layered for easier use)

For game usage: PNG! Nothing else...
Well, I've developed a few games, and helped on others. And have dug into the 'guts' of nearly every current game out today, and nearly EVERY ONE uses TGA (Targa). You say Targa is outdated?! lol, dude, it's STILL around because it's the best! Microsoft games use it, Fightsim2003, Unreal T 2003, All the Quake games. Everything. The reason is it has zero lossiness, and can have 32 bit coverage (Transparency).

I'm in the business guy, and we have ALL used TGA and PSD exclusively. For website images, stick to JPG, GIF. High standard work is always done using Targa.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote