View Single Post
Old 04-01-2001, 08:08 AM   #45
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Wolgir and all the other Swedes for eg: Why not change your left hand box to 'Sverige'? Educate us!

Hey, that's a really good idea - I could certainly learn something if people did that. I try always to learn something about cultures and languages that I am unfamiliar with, and with this board being so international it would be a good place to do that. I don't know many place names beyond what they are changed to in English, but I am more than willing to learn. Same goes with languages, I am pretty much monolingual (hangs head in shame) but am keen to try and learn some things from languages other than English, so I would be happy to see people posting in other languages - although I might not be able to reply easily (if at all!) it would benefit me to try and learn something new.

I could be wrong, but I also think that languages and concepts, cultures, ways of thinking and viewing the world, are linked, and to know only one language can limit the ways in which you think to fit the structure of the language you use. (Not sure if that made any sense at all - if not, it probably isn't an English concept, so cannot be explained properly in English - I think that's what I mean).

Wasn't there once a language thread in Gen. Discussions? Perhaps we could ressurrect something like that.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.