View Single Post
Old 05-14-2001, 04:12 PM   #251
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
Phew, I wasn't just me thinking it was a bit weird. I've no idea either, maybe I should contact my old physics teacher, unless anyone else can help?

Most 120 volt circuits consist of 3 wires:

1) Hot wire
2)Neutral ground wire
3) Equipment/device ground wire

The hot wire is generally black, but can be any color except white or green. The neutral ground wire is always white and the equipment/device ground wire is either bare copper or green. (Some homes built in the 1970's may have aluminum wire which is silver rather than copper.)

The hot wire brings charged electrical current to your devices and the neutral ground carries discharged current from your devices. The equipment/device ground is a safety wire that is used in the event of a fault in the equipment or wiring.

240 volt wiring combines 2 hot wires to provide the current required for the device. Along with additional current come a higer amperage rating. The higher amperage delivered by 240 volt circuits makes them particularity dangerous. All household electricity is potentially lethal.

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)