View Single Post
Old 01-05-2003, 07:37 PM   #7
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

STOP!
If you already have 2000, there is no real reason to upgrade to XP at all.
They are based on the same kernel as has been said and XP is basically just an over-bloated 2000 with bells and whistles on.

I had 2000. Then I reformatted and installed XP Pro. I used it for a few days. The compatibility mode for old games is crap. None of my old DOS games worked just like they don't on 2000.

Also XP makes you activate your product. Although this is painless and takes about 5 seconds over the web, why should you give MS any info at all?

Of course everyone who had ME is singing its praises because it's such an improvement over ME. However it is not really an improvement at all on 2000.
Come to think of it I've been over this on another board... I posted my findings there, I'll just paste it for you....

these are based on my experience:

Advantages of XP Pro pver W2K on my comp:
- Faster booting
- Buit-in support for things like zip files, so no having to use winzip etc. unless you want its extra features
- Nice start menu
- Better support for all devices i.e. more drivers come with the OS saving you downloading them
- No ACPI so you can customise your IRQ settings etc. better.
- Easier to learn parts of the OS you are unfamiliar with, although this is more annoying than helpful sometimes for people like me who are used to rumaging around for instructions and figuring out how to run things back in the DOS days.
- I like the grouping of tasks by application on the taskbar, to save space.

Disadvantages of XP when compared to 2000:
- Menus hidden under more "user friendly" levels of nice graphics and sub menus e.g. control panel etc. this is just annoying for me
- My old DOS programs work even worse than under Win2K - I got the impression this would be the other way around...read this as "most of them don't work as with W2K and the ones that do have really bad sound" ...hmmm maybe I need new sound drivers for XP- I am using the ones it installed with a clean install though so it should be ok.
- The stability, resource management etc. are no better than W2K.
- XP takes up a gigabyte more than W2K which matters when you only have a 20GB HD like me! (all I know is that after installing XP, 2.5GB were gone and after installing W2K only 1.5 were, these are including the windows page file)
- XP has the activation feature
- Annoying crappy programs like MSN messenger are built in to XP and it didn't get removed even when I used Add/Remove Windows Components.
- Many of my older utils are not compatible with XP and I have to download updates or get new versions. Also some of my Win98/2K games have compatibility issues with XP.
- I distrust the new anti-privacy clauses I've heard about in the version of Media Player etc. that comes with XP
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray