View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Obama's latest jobs/opening campaign/scream foul to the media - speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azred View Post
Did you catch her last couple of comments? She made the best argument *for* Obamacare that I have ever heard. In essence, she stated that some corporations are moving jobs overseas because the governments there take the costs of providing health coverage to employees rather than the businesses, which takes that expense off their P&L and improves their bottom line.
Yep. I caught that as well and I agree it is a very strong argument *for* ObamaCare. But there are a couple of factors to consider.

The foreign countries that offer nationalized healthcare fund that through higher taxes and (former) Gov. Granholm stated that Singapore (the most popular country for corporate investment) does not have a laissez faire system. So the corporations DO pay taxes and, presumably, higher taxes to help fund the cost of the healthcare.

In America, corporations are offered tax cuts and tax incentives to help offset the cost they must bear for healthcare. It doesn't balance the equation completely, but it is worth noting that even corporations are not getting "free" healthcare for their employees in other countries. A big portion of the improved P&L comes from the lower wages they can pay and longer hours they can have their employees work.