View Single Post
Old 01-04-2001, 02:40 PM   #7
Elowin
Welcomed New User

Just to wrap things up. W&W was a mixed bag for me. I loved parts and I hated parts. I can't remember the parts I loved as much as the parts I hated. What I hated most were many lifts and doors that the party got stuck in and beaten to pulp. Fortunately one learns to SAVE OFTEN and go through the tedium of reloading.

There was one quest near the end that I might only have gotten after finishing Anephas' Temple--The Dark One. My Priest-would-be-Monk only got the quest from the Dojo guy and throughout the game I only killed things that wouldn't leave me alone. Whatever this Dark One was left me alone in Anephas' Temple. In fact I could not tell from the Quest where he was located and assumed the Dojo guy was speaking of The Dark Lord or Cet--to confussing for me and I believe I did review the quest in our Journal at least once to try and gleaned who and where it was.

I only applied two cheats during the game and I have no regrets about it. I gave the party enough money so that it was never any issue. I think this was roughly 250,000 per character. After applying the "beta patch" (Activision, RELEASE IT YOU IDIOTS!) everything extra in the bank was lost--but this didn't matter--was never needed. We still picked up every bag of coins and treasure up to The Isle of Sands. From The Isle of Sands on we only kept the gold and dropped everything else that could be identified and was of no value to the party--all lessor items to what we equipped. The second cheat was, for example, if a character had some axe skill but was using a mace I removed the skill points from axe and applied them to mace. I did that only once early on in the game and I'm not sure what difference if any it made.

The party remained vulnerable at times until near the end when the game balance must have shifted clearly to our favor because we were a very strong team at this point. When lavawalk wore off once in the middle of the lava the party took on catastrophic damage--restore. But it was easier just to run through some obstacles and accept the damage then try to prevent it.

Anyway, I am glad I played W&W and even glader I was able to finish it. I have no regrets about anything the party might have missed doing--these games are getting very huge and that is a problem in and of itself I have to deal with. I didn't play the sequel to Guardians of Detiny and I doubt right now at least I would play W&W's sequel if it existed today. I don't upgrade my computer but once every three years or so and have always managed to be weak up against the latest 3D technology--I use a Dell Inspirion 7000 currently. Although it has an ATI Rage LT Pro and a 300 MHz CPU this wasn't enough to make the best of W&W's 3D graphics. Pretty jerky frame rate, at times. Near the end of the game it froze twice at different places within Cet's Pyramid but maybe two hours play time apart (hour glass but nothing else). Largely because of this "envelope" limitation I have to live in I much prefer the 2D style CRPG so far. 3D always presents frame rate and texture troubles unless I was willing to rebuild a system (Desktop) to the latest and greatest for each game as it comes out.
Elowin is offline   Reply With Quote