View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 11:28 AM   #45
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Section 6 is not an exception. Items 1 through 6 are each different ways of being a POW. If you can pigeonhole yourself under any 1 of them, you are a POW.

Military bases are not US soil, either. They are leases -- generally for 99 years at a time.
I see your point, Section 6 contains an exception to itself, and while some could argue that the detainees qualify under Section 1, others can say they would qualify only under Section 6, and that since they didn't carry arms openly or obey the rules of war, they are disqualified? As you've said many times (at least I thought it's what you were saying), those who write the laws don't make the laws, it's those who interpret them who actually make them.

Second point, yes I must have missed that, but aren't bases and embassies treated as our own land even if legally they are not? Of course, they aren't ours in perpetuity (or whatever the term may be), but while we occupy them, aren't they ours, and aren't they treated as if they are actually US soil?

Hong Kong was a lease, wasn't it considered British soil?