View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Almost Ready to buy First HD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Foehammer View Post

I would steer clear of Samsung BLU-RAY players. They don't have a good reputation. Sony and Panasonic make some good players. Their top of the line units usually run around 250$ down to <100$. The price depends whether you want 3D capability, 4K upscaling or what not. Almost all of the blu-rays these days come with built in WiFi.
I was not aware...I had not done enough research into the devices yet. Thank you for turning me onto that issue. Hey...if the player comes with WiFi, do I even want a TV that has internet capable? Is it redundant? What little research I've done says the players have a limited Wifi but the TV has "a full internet browser".

Quote:
If you're going for a home theater set-up as well, the guideline is to set the viewing area at two times the diagonal dimension of the screen. That is, a 60" diagonal (5 feet) should have seating 10 feet away from the screen.
My viewing range will be somewhere between 10-12 ft. You said "should" be 60in. Does that mean a 46in, is too small for that distance? Note, this will be used primarily for Netflix and BluRay movies. I don't watch sports or regular TV, though when we do watch TV, we use a digital antenna. No cable provider.