View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Almost Ready to buy First HD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry_OHF View Post
After a little research, I've concluded the TV I want is the Samsung 6300 (46"). I've not yet started researching Blu-Ray players, Audio, etc.
Either Sears or BestBuy would be good options for the installation. I don't have my TVs wall mounted but rather on stands as it creates some extra storage space for the Blu-ray, stereo receiver etc.

I would steer clear of Samsung BLU-RAY players. They don't have a good reputation. Sony and Panasonic make some good players. Their top of the line units usually run around 250$ down to <100$. The price depends whether you want 3D capability, 4K upscaling or what not. Almost all of the blu-rays these days come with built in WiFi.

If you're going for a home theater set-up as well, the guideline is to set the viewing area at two times the diagonal dimension of the screen. That is, a 60" diagonal (5 feet) should have seating 10 feet away from the screen.

Unless you are planning on only using the TV sound, the audio set-up choices range from 5.1 to 9.2. Frankly, you can probably restrict the search just to 5.1 systems. You can still end up spending as much or more on the audio as the TV if you go that route. There are a number of pre designed combo Blu-ray / sound systems on the market - Sony has 5.1 systems (including the Blu-ray) starting at $130 up to $700; or you can do mix and match. There are a lot of systems out there - you'll need to do some homework on this. I'm doing an upgrade / redesign on our home theater system and the cost can get way out of hand in a hurry.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 10-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote