View Single Post
Old 11-07-2001, 10:40 PM   #5
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

IMHO projected image is the better of the two.

I am assuming you've beat this game a couple of times. There are a few major battles or spawing spots.

"Obviously, PI would be better for a back in the ranks mage, who has a meat wall to protect him, but a solo mage does not usually have that luxury, especially at the beginning of a battle."

Walk around an entire area invisible. You know where the bad guys are, you know how many, etc..
You won't need a meat wall to protect you. A prepared mage lives. Unprepared..well. (There is a ring of invisibility available early in the game.)

"Projected Image
PROS: Also duplicates the quick items and etc., casts all spells without removing from caster's memory."

Awesome ability..I won't even mention the CHEESY cloudkill wands and/or timestop scrolls.

"CONS: Once PI is cast, the mage is immobile while the PI moves about. Unless one cheezes Mislead, This could make the caster very vulnerable in nearly any situation."

Unless I have a bug on my game and the manual is incorrect, once your character is hit, it dispels the projected image. The caster is not vulnerable. (Stoneskins & mirror image especially ensure your PI's survival)

I like projected image better, but the best part about Simulacrum that you didn't mention was the fact that BOTH of you get to move and attack. Not just the image. In my vote it's not enough to make up for the higher level spells that you lose with a simulacrum.