View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Work Woes (Maybe you can help?)

Speaking as a sales guy...

First, the most important thing is that you have to believe in your product. If you don't (and you now don't), then it will show.

Second, remember that you don't know *that* much about your customers. Do you know their personal financial position? How well they manage their credit? Their finances? What their current financial situation is?

I suspect the answer is no, and while *many* people have challenges with credit, *not all* get overrun by it. I personally pay my cards off every month... I might or might not be interested in yours. For you to decide that for me is a bit presumptuous on your part, isn't it?

Third, and one of the hardest things to understand in sales: when a prospect says No, they are not rejecting you personally; they are simply rejecting the current business proposition.

You don't know enough to know whether or not it would be a good idea for them... only they know that. So why don't you let them decide?

My suggestion for a closing question would be like this:

Your total is £55. If you open a store Mastercard today, you would get £5 back and be more than halfway to another £5. Would you be interested in opening one today?

They can answer four things:

1. Yes. Okay, fill out the paperwork.

2. No. Okay, move on to "how would you like to pay?". Note that any generally negative response, including comments about your parentage, is still "no"

3. I've already got one. "Super! You just moved 55 points closer to your next £5 certificate!"

4. I don't know. What's involved? (or some variation)... "It's a regular mastercard, and every £1 charged earns you a point. Earn 100 points, you get a £5 certificate. You also earn another £5 certificate just for signing up today. Would you like to sign up?"

You can't live their lives for them... they must do that. So let them make up their minds and take advantage if it makes sense for them.

All right... the non-sales folks can take their shots now...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote