View Single Post
Old 09-12-2004, 02:23 PM   #1
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

I've got a bit of a mystery with my HD. Clicking on properties for C: (my one and only partition) lets me know that my disk has a capacity of 38,3 Gb, that 37,2 Gb are used up, and that I've got 1,1 Gb of free disk space.

The weird thing is that when I select everything on the partition and view properties, it says it only takes up about 30 Gb. Now where the heck are my remaining 7,2 Gigabytes? I used the built-in maintenance function to free up disk space, set the Explorer Folder Properties to show hidden files and folders and unchecked the "Hide protected system files" option, prior to doing this check, so hidden files shouldn't be the problem here. I'm guessing it's just a huge pile of junk files that has been allowed to grow uninterrupted for years because Windows can't touch them.

Now I'm wondering if anyone else has any idea where my 7,2 Gb of disk space has gone, or know of a good program for doing more thorough disk clean-ups?