View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 12:32 PM   #38
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Sheesh! RevRuby, if at age 16 or 17 my parents had tried that with me I'd just have moved out. Fortunately they had more sense, I've always been a responsible person cos I was brought up that way, I was allowed to do more or less what I wanted, and it didn't result in prison/pregnancy/drug abuse/running wild.

At what age do you see kids as adult? Here it's pretty much 16 - there are still things you can't do (drive, drink in a pub, vote), but at that age if you don't like what your parents tell you to do you have the option of leaving.
as has been pointed out to me, america was first populated by puritans, and so even tho it has been howmany years since then, we have more conservative veiws than the british, and most europeans in general.

as far as kids leaving home here, most parents ivite them to leave, but uinless they are legall emancipated in courts if the youth fails to go to school, or does something really bad the parents are held responsible. legal voting age here is 18, drinking is 21, so one is not adult to the legal system until then. even as an 18 yr going to a regular clinic for birth control it is required for your parents to be told, unless you are a mom, then you are an 18 yo emancipated adult. make sense? no, but it is and children need protected. yes they need to make their own mistakes but, some mistakes are better learned from as an adult