View Single Post
Old 02-05-2002, 11:29 PM   #1
Moni

She was an only daughter.
Beautiful, intelligent, charming, with a great sense of humor and a genuine talent for "telling it like it is".

She was an only sister.
Attentive to her much younger brother, always looking out for him, always protecting him, always in charge.

She was an only Aunt.
The only one I had on my dad's side of the family and the last member of his immediate family that I had.

It was she that called and gave me the news the day my dad died.
It was she that I called when her husband passed away last year to offer her my condolences and share the wonderful memories we both have of my Uncle Gene being in our lives.

She had a stroke last Thursday and was expected to recover nicely but instead, she quietly passed away this morning.
I am not grieveing because I somehow knew to be expecting the news even though I have had no contact with any of my family members and did not even know she had the stroke until I got the news of her death today.

I just wanted to make this post to tell you all what a wonderful woman I had for an aunt, what a wonderful daughter she was, a wonderful sister, a wonderful aunt and a wonderful mother, mother-in-law and grandmother to her five surviving daughters and their families.

If you have been feeling like you need to call someone in your family and tell them that you love them, don't hesitate...tomorrow could be too late.

I have been hesitating because I never knew what to say if I did call. I mean, my dad, her baby brother, just died a year and a half ago, her husband (of almost 50 years) died just last year and her hurt was still fresh and obvious when we talked. It made it hard and awkward to speak to her, especially knowing she was on medications that had her in a constant state of bliss (lol).
Still, I think "I love you" would have been enough.
Now, she knows, yeah...but it would have felt better had I said it out loud.

Now in the company of her father, her mother, her only brother and her husband, I know she is happy, in good hands, and is among the many good spirits I have watching over me.

I love you Aunt Daurice.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Moni ]