Thread: smoking
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #40
Aerich
Lord Ao

Just got to toss my two cents+ in.

Smoking is banned in restaurants, pubs, and clubs in my city and my province. It works well, because a number of pubs, etc, have added on covered patios or separated off existing ones so that smokers have a place to smoke when they frequent those establishments. It accomplishes three things:
1) Non-smokers (the majority, in my area) are not inconvenienced or exposed to a health risk.
2) It gets the smokers away from just outside the door and gives them a sheltered area to smoke.
3) It satisfies the laws regarding workplace safety.

Everybody can live with the compromise, and it hasn't hurt business any. In fact, the clubs in particular are busier than ever, because people don't have to dance in a haze of stale smoke.

I don't mind people smoking around me when I'm out on the town or talking, or whatever, but speaking as a tolerant non-smoker, it is extremely difficult to enjoy a meal when cig smoke is present. I fully support the smoking ban in pubs, clubs and restaurants for health and other reasons.