Thread: Superheroes
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2002, 08:34 AM   #76
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

LOL, K.T., I used to read a LOT of comics when I was a kid. Almost exclusively DC back then (Superman, Batman, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, and Justice League of America).

Yes, I am familiar with The Spectre, the character whose looks CAN kill. He was definitely NOT somebody to mess with. Don't know if his power would work on superheroes, but it would make HIM the most powerful of all if it did.

When I was in college, I went into a local comic book store and picked up a back issue of Daredevil. That began a looong run of collecting Marvel comics (Spiderman, Hulk, and X-Men)

I don't nearly as much about Silver Surfer's powers as some others. But I do know that he once went up against Thor, the God of Thunder, and basically fought him to a draw (Marvel used to love to pit superheroes against each other).

Silver Surfer gets his power from a force known as the Power Cosmic. Basically, it is an unlimited source of energy that he can tap in to and manipulate however he wants. So his powers vary depend on what he wants to do.

In a fight with Superman, the determining factor would be whether the Power Cosmic "qualified" as magical energy - because Superman is vulnerable to magic. I don't think it could be considered "pure" magical energy, but I think it is so strong that Superman would still take damage from it.

Surfer and Superman can both "take a lot of damage." The Surfer's skin acts like a suit of armor, preventing a lot of things from hurting him at all. He can also "absorb" energy. If Superman uses his Heat Vision, Surfer could just absorb it and then turn around and Blast Supes with his own energy.

It would be a knock-down, drag-out fight for sure....but I would have to give the advantage to Silver Surfer. WHY? Because (like I mentioned about Lobo earlier), NOBODY in the DC Universe is in Superman's class. He is stronger and tougher than almost ALL the other heroes combined. Because of this, he tends to be somewhat arrogant in battle, figuring he can take whatever the other guy dishes out and return it interest.

That's why Batman (an ordinary human with NO superpowers) was able to beat him. He knows Superman better than any other person, but he also knows his strengths and weaknesses. He basically used Supermans arrogance against him, because Superman didn't think Batman could actually hurt him.

Also, Silver Surfer isn't stupid. He's not going to stand toe-to-toe with the big red S. He'll keep his distance and keep zapping him with the Power Cosmic. (and Surfer can easily match Supermans speed with his surfboard).

BTW, my knowledge of comics may be extensive, but it is also somewhat out-dated. I haven't read a comic in almost 10yrs now, so a LOT of what I "know" might not be true any longer.