View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

PST is 15% in provinces that have them. I live in Alberta so only have to worry about GST, but GST is weird I just have to make sure I buy my donuts in 6's or 12's so I don't have to pay it.

Property tax varies depending on town or were you live in a city. Income Tax depends on alot of things sometimes you get things back other times you pay. Depends on what you do with your money. The more you invest in RRSP the more likely you are to get money back, you have student loans claim your interest, if you are a charitable person you can claim some. Medical Expanses you can claim but it needs to add up to a certain amount and I have never been able to add it up enough to claim medical. As for not paying taxes in Alberta, the Alberta Health Care premiums are a tax just not defined as one. They find a way to ding you either way, it isn't like you are getting better health care than the rest of the country, also we have alot of higher user fees, like registering cars, pets, etc here that is lower in most other parts of the country. The Alberta advantage is a myth, King Ralph has found other ways to weed money from people while convincing voters that they are the lowest taxed in the country. Meanwhile our education, roads, health care deteriorates while King Ralph's coffers grows. Meanwhile he gets drunk, berates the homeless to get jobs, and disabled in wheel chairs that they don't seem very disabled. At least he is going to retire after is term is up this time.

[ 11-29-2004, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]