View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

It is often wrong to blame men for a lot of the things.

Take my mother for example. Let's pray that she doesn't read this.

She spends most of her time thinking about what she has to cook tonight, whether she looks okay in the mirror and various other things unrelated to work.

Girls are just girls... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ofcourse we get girls who care less about these things, and concentrate more on work. But the majority don't. And compared to men, girls are more vain.

Which I think is great, because I really don't like girls who don't know how to take care of their image.

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] You have GOT to be kidding. You've just demonstrated the kind of ridiculous attitude that some women still have to battle in the workfield and that stops some of them from getting as far as men.*
Women are vain, spend more time on how they look and what to cook and therefore have less time to do scientific research? That is just so amazingly sexist! Especially the addition that you're glad women are vain because you "dislike girls who don't know how to take care of their image"!
My goodness...

First, FYI I manage to be both one of the best students in my class AND look good. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I get up, I put on my mascara and my frilly skirt, and then I do some serious reading of Donne, or decipher and transcribe a few seventeenth century letters [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh, and my boyfriend and I split household tasks equally, thanks very much. In fact, thanks to the feminine quality of multitasking, I am actually pondering what I will cook for him tonight, even as I write my only slightly tongue-in-cheek polemic to you.

Second, your stereotyping is just way off. As Willow rightly pointed out, you just cannot draw any conclusions about scientific breakthroughs since NOWADAYS, women have equal opportunities. It's not that far back that what people thought a good woman was one who didn't demand much more education than secondary school, who stayed at home, ran the household and pooped out children on a regular basis. I very highly doubt that women's vainness has anything at all to do with their lack of scientific breakthroughs.

* - Before I get the Testosterone Brigade on my neck, notice the "few" and "some of them". I know a lot has been accomplished in terms of equal opportunities, although, as Willow rightly states, there are still many instances where the woman is expected to work part time and look after the children, while there are far less opportunities for men to become (partial) housemen. But still, just in case it wasn't totally clear, I'm not saying equal opportunities are still non-existent as they used to be. Sometimes it's a glass ceiling or a sexist boss that stops a woman from achieving, sometimes it's her own lack of ambition or a choice to become a full time mother, etc.

[ 09-23-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]