View Single Post
Old 04-02-2001, 09:50 AM   #37
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Erekose:
It was a shame they didn't introduce the magic items until a bit later in the game. Just after you get a decent set of materwork items they brought the enchanted ones in. It would be interesting to see a game with the "great weapon" in it being the good old longsword +1! Of course you wouldn't have the special effects from the weapons but it would be interesting to play. Perhaps I am asking for too much ?
Well, there was a game like that - it was called BG1. And it pretty much kicked everything else's ass when it came out. I also thought that Ultima IV and V did a great job in managing your level progression.

I agree with most of what you've said Erekose, with one exception - I don't think that Bioware (or any other company) could release 4-5 BG1-level games in a row and keep the series commercially viable. Even with the ToTSC expansion the enemies and items were markedly more powerful than BG1 because that's what consumers in general wanted. Having 4-5 games where you are constantly struggling using +1 weapons fighting hobgoblins, orcs, and more of the same would get old real quick - especially with the fringe CRPG consumer segment which delivered a lot of BG2's topline revenue.

I'm sure a happy medium could've been found between BG1 and BG2. However, the feedback Bioware received back when they were putting BG2 together was more! more! more! powerful everything - beholders, liches, dragons, etc. to the point where all these monsters lost their mystique and became everyday also-rans.

We'll see if they adopt a different approach for the next series (if there is one).

------------------
My name is Memnoch. And your name is...destined to be a footnote in the sands of time.

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 04-02-2001).]