View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 04:06 PM   #116
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
DragonMage I know several people who see their pets as their "children"
It is somewhat of a curiosity thing for me as I wonder just how much difference there is in how they and/or you feel about the pet as opposed to how people with "human" children feel. I suppose it is one of those unanswerable questions, as it is with beauty most of those quantifiables are in they eye of the beholder. Still animals will always be more limited in just how much they can relate to their "parents" and just how much can be exchanged.

I had many pets (mostly Labradors) when I was growing up in the country, but never crossed that barrier of being able to see them as anything more than animals and pets and my love for them never even held a glimmer to what I felt for my children...errr feel...feel for my children...just because the oldest has gotten into that pre-teen thing does NOT mean I do not love him....repeat to self many times!!!!!!

You DO have a point here on how much pets can reciprocate and I know that what I feel for my pets (even the one that hurt the most to lose) would never compare to what I would feel for my own child. I understand your point in that, once they are weaned in about 6 weeks or so, they don't really DEPEND on me anymore. Not for sustenance, anyway. But I (underline I) still get very attached (probably because I DON'T have any children of my own). And the ones I have certainly ACT like children most of the time (from sibling rivalry fights to jealousy).

Personally, I'm just a glutton for punishment.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)