View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Networking Latency Question

Ok, little background.

We've just switched from DSL to cable internet at our house.

In general, I avoid online gaming, never gave latency a second thought. Recently started playing Diablo 3 with my friend and a few of his friends. Noticed some occasionally significant lag. Collectively we blamed the game servers.

Ran Detailed Network Statistics on my Xbox ONE. Latency registered at 74ms. According to my friend this is quite high. He blames my use of a Motorola gateway, as, in his words, "all in one devices are crap because they're trying to do everything and can't do anything well."

I'm contending that it's more likely because of distance from the gateway, (I'm stuck on Wi-Fi for the time being) and that my PC, and two other TV's are drawing on the gateway via Wi-Fi. So 2 TV's streaming programming, plus my PC and an Xbox ONE.

Root question, is the high latency because I'm using an all-in-one gateway device, Motorola 8x4 Cable Modem Gateway + Wi-Fi N450 or more likely because we've overloaded the Wi-Fi?

Secondary question, is there a way to improve latency, other than purchasing new gear?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote