View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #4
Killing Spree
Mephistopheles

Just a few tips that might save you some time and discouragement.

Since you're looking to progress, I suggest you look at other artists' works and try to pull things you think you can do from that. When I started really dedicating myself to drawing I flipped through D&D manuals for help with anatomy. At the same time I was cruising online art communities like Elfwood pretty much everyday, looking for ways to improve. Eventually I invested in some real anatomy and portrait drawing books. [img]tongue.gif[/img] While I don't reccomend following those idiotic step-by-step instructions in the books, it always helps to have the finished products to look at.

Another thing: Practice all the time. If you're just sitting around somewhere and you're bored: skip the daydreaming, leave the homework for later, and ■■■■ the TV, you need to draw. [img]tongue.gif[/img] NOTHING will improve your technique like practice.

Finally: Don't get discouraged! But know that it's going to take a while. I'm completely self-taught, and it took two years of doodling in the margins for me to really feel like I could draw all right. And dude, this is just one of those things where you never stop learning. So never get cocky about your skills. Keep telling yourself you suck, and eventually you'll get sick of your own abuse and improve. Yes, I did just contradict myself.

Anyway, hope that helps! Good luck...