View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #4
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Well, as I said, I'm more than happy to leave media-playing to windows...I was aware that there were 64-bit issues with my codecs...It's also a little disapointing to not have a nice, easily installed set of drivers for my ATI card, but my games aren't Linux compatible anyway...

Here's the full story on my storage system...I have a 20 Gb single hard drive which I have reserved for Windows...and was going to install Linux on that, and, as with Windows, leave my 500 Gb RAID 5 array for storage and installing gaming programs upon...but the 500 Gb is in NTFS currently, and I've heard that while one can convert from FAT32 to NTFS, the process is one-way. Now, I'm no wizard with these things, but that tells me that without partitioning my RAID array, I'd end up with precious little storage for the Linux half of my computer...

Shame I didn't know that in the first place :S

No special hardware to report, other than, maybe a digital camera, but Linux would accept those, right? The wifi is on my laptop, which is not territory I'm willing to take Linux...

Finally, I revise my opinion of command line, and admit that I'd be willing to use it somewhat, as I do need to learn, but I'd like an OS that didn't necessarily require it.

My aim for using Linux on my computer is to pretty much phase out Windows for my standard computer needs (photo-editing, office applications, @home processing, internet browsing), and leave Windows for media watching and playing video games.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote