View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:08 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I know this is a technical question, but I wasn't sure where to place this. It just seemed logocal to place it in this particular forum. If I am wrong I apologize. Anyway...

As several of you know I have been unable to load NWN once it is installed (see previous post) some here as well as other sites have mentioned the sound card drivers as a major culprit. The thing is I have an M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card. The latest and last driver (no more will be released) is two years old but the quality is excellent and it runs fine with other games that are much newer than NWN. I have been in contact with another person who has been experiencing the same thing over at Overclocker's Forum and below is what he had to say. Keep in mind that my OS is 32-bit Windows XP Professional with SP2. I'd like to know what you make of his information. From Alex who is a university student and majoring in computers...

"1. M-Audio's Revolution 5.1 's drivers have 3 bugs as i've noticed
- a. the 32 bit version seems to conflict with the nforce4 chipset - as seen in dolby digital 5.1 movies with the output set to 5.1 from the revo control pannel (i happen to have 5.1 sound, when i set the output to stereo, then i get no reboot)

- b. the 64 bit version is so unstable that it crashes win xp x64 immediately after installation , either stereo or 5.1

- c. the microphone seems to have some problems in google talk; it also resets its settings (i use to mute it) upon restart.

The problem with the driver is that Creative has bought Sensaura and they're really anal about allowing 3rd parties to do new implementations of the algorithms.

A good thing is that vista seems to recognise the card by default (*i'm not sure here, because i never installed it on my pc, but m-audio revolution 5.1 is listed all over it: in windows media player 11, when setting the output to 5.1 from the control pannel also mentions that a revo 5.1 is recommended). so high hopes there.

Now M-Audio's support site is down, but I'll keep bugging them.
By the way: could you put somewhere safe for keeping some of the minidumps from those blue screens you say you got? (m-audio believed me after i have showed them 3 from windows xp x64 - 32-bit one doesn't throw any due to the special nature of the problem)

If I am reading Alex right (and he has been speaking to M-Audio tech support quite a bit) there may be really no answer for my dilemma, plus I am getting the crashes with the NOT-EQUAL blah, blah, blah message the inevitable physical memory dump. So if I can't resolve the driver issue is the only recourse a Creative Sound card? Thoughts please!

Also, what sound cards are you guys using?
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote