View Single Post
Old 07-15-2002, 08:12 AM   #119
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I hear ya MagiK, I'm a smoker and I if could think of a way to smoke in my car and not have the odor of smoke waft all around I'd do it.
I try to avoid smoking anywhere near where it may interfere with a person right to be smoke free, but alas, life is full of compromises.

But then again cars emmit unhealthy fumes and emmit quite an odor, not to mention the the risks of accident and the pollutuion underground gas tanks cause, so maybe we should over-tax the people who drives those too. And what about lawnmowers? not only do those smell, they are noisy! We outa overtax lawnmowers as well! And Airplanes, I can hear those even if they are thousands of miles overhead, no way around that either!

Actually we already over tax all those people. More than half of the cost of a gallon of gasoline is Tax. As for smelly, I do not smell the cars, I smell the guy sitting in front of me smoking his cig. at the stop light. Lawn mowers and cars are ALL being regulated to become cleaner (and thus becomming more expensive) I see no effort to make smokable tobacco less odiferous, offensive or invasive...other than raising the taxes on them.

My point is life is full of smelly, noisy dangers and we can either decide to live with them, or we can crusade to end the smelly unhealthy dangers and the only practical way to do that is via...goverment.

Im not on a crusade to end all smelly offensive things, Id have to outlaw my sons feet if I were to do that (Im not kidding, its amazing the odors that a teenagers feet can produce)

I consider myself a libertarian as well, I say let the people smoke who want to and set up places in the general public where smoking is off-limits for those who dont. Thats how it is now and it seems to work just fine on the whole.

I say let them smoke..but do it where the rest of humanity doesnt have to come in contact with it. At least heroin is injected and less offensive to a random passerby.

I think its pathetic that people can still sue tobacco companies for health problems that they created themselves by choosing to smoke. Come on, the warning labels have been on the packs for some time now, those people ought to take some personal responsility for their own addictions and stop blaming the companies.

Suing the companies is really stupid...sue the car company if someone hits you with one of their cars, sue a gun company if some oen shoots you with one of their guns..its all plain ludicrous.

If I develop a smoking related illness, I will have no one to blame but myself and I have premium health coverage as well as extra life insurance to cover any left over debt if die from it. So all the extra tax I pay for my smokes goes to fund all the unresponsible people who dont plan ahead for the consequences of their own actions.

In reality your over taxation goes to line the pockets of big government and is used to redistribute wealth...mostly to rich congressmen and senators but also to some truely needy people...but the needy are a minority recipient.
[ 07-15-2002, 08:13 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]