View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Robert the Bard: The idea in this guy's invention, as I understood it, is to use radio waves to unbond the hydrogen atoms from the oxygen atoms, ignite the hydrogen-oxygen mixture, and get energy from the re-bonding of the atoms. The problem here is the law of the Conservation of Energy, which states that the energy you get from the re-bonding of the atoms cannot, ever, in any circumstance, be greater than the energy used to unbond them. And since there's energy lost to light in the flame, boiling the water, power transition and probably other things, the invention uses more electricity than it could ever give. This device is not an infinite energy source.

As for the volatility, gasoline might be flammable but it still needs oxygen to burn. And it is not pressurized. Normal hydrogen they use now in fuel cell cars is in pressurized containers, meaning that if the container breaks, all the hydrogen is sprayed out and will ignite from a tiniest spark and explode in a big fireball. Gasoline, now, would just slowly leak on the ground. It might catch fire and explode, but only if the heavier-than-air gasoline fumes come to contact with something hot. And in the device on the video creates a perfect mixture of oxygen and hydrogen. It does not need external oxygen to burn. If you raise the temperature enough, it will explode, regardless of how it is stored. And if you try to pressurize it, it will explode even in cold temperatures, meaning that you can't really store it.

And near the end of the video, I think I can see some kind of white residue forming to the end of the tube and nearly putting out the flame. I think it would be salt thrown up by the boiling water. Or maybe the radio waves also vaporize salt which then deposits to the end of the tube. This could cause problems if you want the hydrogen plant to run seamlessly for a long time.

Have to agree with you about the hybrid cars, though. I don't have any numbers, but I don't think they are much less polluting that regular cars, let alone the solution to all pollution they are advertised as.