View Single Post
Old 10-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #39
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
One of my important rules: if I'm going to come back, a good tip is a wise investment in my future
Kohlberg's first two stages of moral development: Societal Level #1 -- Preconventional Level. To act out of fear of punishment or hope for reward.

Whatever, the waiter's not gonna care if you tip well out of laziness or self-interest; money is money.
[/QUOTE]Hmmm... good point, but not exactly in line with what I meant to bring up. Let me try again... differently.

I tip in the first place because I know that wait staff get paid poorly here.

I tip nicely because if and when I ever come back here, I want the person waiting on me to be doing it because they want to, not because they have to. It's a fine distinction, but it's an important one for me.

I don't necessarily fear punishment or hope for reward... although perhaps I'm hedging against a future reward option. If I gain no benefit from this action in the future, that's fine by me. I'm content with laying the groundwork for the future, not necessarily achieving it.

Hmmm... maybe it *is* the same thing. Darn it! I hate when someone figures me out... on any level [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.