View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #6
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Those downloads only mean something if you have a 64-bit operating system, alas...for instance, I have a 64-bit processor (a processor capable of processing 64 bits of data simulataneously, IIRC), but a 32-bit operating system (Windows XP Pro), as opposed to a 64-bit one (Windows XP Pro 64). Essentially, for a 32 bit operating system, a 64 bit processor just acts like 2 processors.
Just so you don't make any mistakes and go out buying any, a 64bit processor doesn't work as two processors. Take for instance the first AMD64 socket 754 CPU's. They were a 64bit CPU but still single core. Same with the 939 however they are also available in dual core models (X2) or single core models. It can be confusing but if you're interested in buying really do your homework or ask the salesman which one is the dual or single core model.
I was actually running the AMD64 3700 Socket 754 which is only a single CPU. I tend to upgrade a bit more than I should and have now gone for the AMD64X2 4400 Socket 939 which is a dual core CPU. I'm not sure how the intel ones work but I'm sure there will be some similarities (I hope).

If you were thinking of upgrading I'd seriously recommend the jump to Dual Core CPU's. It can be quite expensive if you have to upgrade your whole setup (boy do I know).
There are some drawbacks however. For instance I am still running the 32bit version of XP. The 64bit just doesn't have enough support for my liking and this means I have to go without many of my favourite programs, many drivers and most of all games. Although some games may work, on my test machine I had next to no success running any games. Far Cry 64 Bit is pretty good but gets boring fast.
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote