View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I transfered this question from the Books, Movies forum as per a good suggestion by Cerek.

It's interesting to see so many Christians (or believers to some extent) here. I have to admit I usually spend my time on the Wizardry 8 board. What do y'all feel about Fantasy RPG's and DnD and the like. I do get negative comments at times for playing these games. People saying it's evil or satanic etc. What do y'all think about that?

Cerek's response:
You're last comments really deserve a thread of their own (perhaps in General Discussion forum). I've never played Wizadry 8, but I did play AD&D in college. My mom wasn't happy about it, but I personally see nothing inherently wrong with the game itself.

Most of the criticism leveled at AD&D by Christians is based on a large dose of misinformation. I agree that there are certain elements of the game that go against Christian theology. If nothing else, the older versions contained some basic occultic language and/or references that could cause a young gamer to become curious and want to explore the occult a bit more. That has been the most valid argument (from a Christian POV) against the game that I have found.

Of course, the game itself can be quite addictive. I don't even want to think about how many hours I used to spend each week playing the game and/or working on characters. I did let it get to the point where it interfered with my prayer time and church attendance - so that is another aspect that a Christian should be cautious of. Then again, that would apply to ANY pastime or hobby that they let become more important than their worship life.

I personally felt I had to step back from AD&D because I was spending too much time on it, but I have many good Christian friends that have played the game and have NO moral qualms about it at all.

As with anything else, it just depends on whether it remains a healthy pastime or becomes a somewhat unhealthy addiction.