View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 04:06 AM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by bsftcs:
Most enemies in the game are equipped with melee weapons themselves, and therefore they will naturally try to engage you in close comats. There are some that will attack you with ranged weapons.

I consider it only natural that the enemies will try to battle with you on their own terms. And if they use melee weapons then close combat is after all the preferred solution. Your main objective would then be to distance yourself from your enemy to be able to use your ranged weapons and spells. This you can either do by running away from them while attacking them with your ranged weapon or by keeping an object or a body of water between you and the monster. This is quite easily done since you can outrun every monster in the game with no difficulties whatsoever. (You cannot outswim all, though).

Especially in the early stages of the game one has to use evasive maneouvers and think strategically about battles. Later on one usually resorts to the hack and slash method.

I agree with you that combats can be a bit (or somewhat) tedious. However, I clearly think the other qualities of the game more than adequately make up for the mediocre combat mode. After all the combats are not meant to be the main issue of the game (although there are quite many of them) rather than the gameplay, the plot, and the puzzles of the dungeons.

So if the combats are the main issue for you, you will probably be bored. But if you are more interested in a good story, good puzzles, and marvellous dungeons, then this game should definitely catch your interest. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You cannot outrun that dragon that you can occasionally see flying around, and he even breathes fire at you! What's his name...Erathsmedor, or is that a different dragon? I'm pretty sure this guy can fly faster than you can run

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote