View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 08:26 AM   #35
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Valid points, Yorick. There are just a couple of things that might be worth further thought. Just because Mohammed was a military man does not exclude him from having spiritual insight. It is conceivable that those who have witnessed the horror of human conflict are best placed to teach on how to end it.
Thanks Mouse. Just thought I'd comment on the difference between witnessing and perpetrating or instigating horror.

Have you read Muhammads teachings Mouse? There is no recipe for peace in them. There are commands to live in peace followed by instructions on how to wage war etc. but no recipe for peace.

Jesus, gives examples and instructions on how to live at peace with people.

1.Do not retaliate. Break the cycle of hate and revenge by turning the other cheek.

2.Love your enemy. Note it does not say "say nice stuff to your enemy" or "smile at them" both merely external commands. He said LOVE YOUR ENEMY:

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
"

This is an inner transformation. It acknowledges the choice aspect of love. It's a recipe for peace.

[ 12-21-2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com