View Single Post
Old 09-12-2001, 04:05 PM   #34
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
Now, don't get me wrong here, this isn't a flame, but I don't see how you can think that somehow John Q. Public dictates what's reported on the t.v. and radio. I don't think I was ever asked what I'd like to hear or see. I watch what's presented and often find it lacking (part of the reason I don't bother to watch the news sometimes). I feel that they don't want us to know all that's going on "out there". It's the same in other countries...they only tell the general population what they want them to know. I think we're probably going to continue to disagree on this, though. Your other posts indicate that you are quite set on what you believe, which is okay, but leaves you with little room to consider the validity of what someone else has to say.

Love ya, though!

I try to be flexible and keep an open mind. Please, you and Cloudy do convince me I am being too cynical here. I would like that

In any case, the media operates mainly by the funding provided by advertisements. In a sense, the media is in the business of selling advertisement space. The interests who buy the advertisement space do so because they want their messages exposed to as large a number of people as possible. Consequently, advertisers finance shows that will be popular with the public, and do not finance shows that will not be. In short, the media (because of the advertisers which finance them) tries to deliver to the public exactly what the public wants. Of course, there are exceptions, but that is the bottom line.