View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 10:06 PM   #34
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
woah there, proud beauties! there seems to be an awful lot of disgust for those of us who see a humanitarian disater looming. i for one, would never, ever, lend my support to any action that sees thousands or even one death or maiming occur for a simple act of revenge. there is no answer to terrorism. the best any of us can hope for is that those who are guilty of murdering the unfortunate people in the states will be found and tried in a court of law. anything else that happens is also murder.

several of you may disagree with this viewpoint - possibly understandably as your blood is pounding and the need to fight back and not feel powerless is overwhelming, however, do you really care so little for human life that you would sanction the governments of the world to destroy the lives of innocents?

in london a couple of years' ago, we had a huge bomb explode in the square mile - financial quater, planted by the ira (again!) if england had chosen to react by sending tanks and bombs into northern ireland, can you imagine what the reaction of the rest of the world would have been - yet, there are many in northern ireland who shelter and finance the ira on a regular basis. what do we do about the situation? negotiation and and the continued attempts at peace talks. this may sound like very little when ira terrorists have killed thousands over the years', however, there is no real alternative unless we were happy to go in all guns blazing and kill hundrends of people who had nothing whatever to do with it. they just happen to live there. rather like the afgans who just happen to live in afganistan.
Tracey you are comparing chalk and cheese. First of all the government of Northern Ireland, where the tanks would "roll in" is British. It's like America rolling tanks into Iowa because Muslim terrorists are there. It wouldn't happen.

Bush mentioned cutting funding. I'd assume measures similar to the USA banning of funding for the real IRA in America would be along those lines.

You are deluded if you think legal processes will make any difference on a government that holds western laws in contempt, and cares nothing for what the outside world does or thinks of them.

I'm not advocating violence, but you are advocating inaction. If another 6,500 civilians are killed (or worse) will that be enough to seek prevention? This type of attack is not able to be defended against. Prevention is the key, and it is prevention - under the guise of "justified retaliation" for world eyes - which is being enacted here.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!