View Single Post
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 PM   #13
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by SomeGuy:
Words cannot discribe the incompetence this world is made of these days. This is one of the reasons I do not believe in the theory of evolution. It's said we've evolved to be more civilized and more intelligence. I see NO sign of intelligence when we're so stupid that our own children, kindergarteners even, are in the possession of illegal drugs. I could go on and on and on and on and on about how idiotic this world is. *shakes head* Sometimes, I just want to get onto a local radio station, and let everyone know how incredibly stupid we are. [img]smile.gif[/img]
While I share your disappointment about the apparent lack of advancement of our society these days, I have to argue your point about evolution.

The theory of evolution actually doesn't say anything about whether we've evolved to be more civilized or intelligent. It merely states that natural selection will encourage the survival of the organisms most suitable for the environment. Yes, natural selection has favored the offspring of the more intelligent humans over the past 50-100,000 years but we're now at the point that our intelligence allows us to overcome natural selection in many ways. Stupid people survive despite being apparently unable to take care of themselves or their offspring. You could say that we are driving our own evolution and that of the planet at this point. When our lack of insight finally leads to overcrowding, rampant spread of sexually transmitted diseases, global warming, and God-forbid nuclear warfare -- well lets just say that evolution may yet have something to say about our development.