View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 11:29 PM   #36
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
How can you possibly even consider mutilating an animal against it's will? How would you feel if your parents had done that to you when you were a child, merely because it was more convinient?
G'day Dirty Meg. I'm not necessarily doing it out of choice, although if I did have the choice I would probably do it. My reasons are below:

1. it's required by law here in OZ if you don't have a breeders license; and

2. I've seen first hand what happens when cats breed out of control. my grandmother in Manila has 40+ cats in a small house, because there's no law against desexing, she just keeps taking them in, the cats just keep on breeding, strays come in, breed, climb over the walls, and start to live under the roof, and my cousins have taken to giving the litters of unwanted kittens away in the markets (where some of them go to good homes but others probably end up as part of some poor person's soup).

To Sythe's point, it's nice to be idyllic and romantic about it and wish you could give the kitties away but usually that means you need to have friends who want or who can have a kitty in the first place. In my case, all my relos are either in Manila or in the US. Bit hard to fedex a kitten to them. If Mikka had a litter here, either we kept it ourselves, twisted the arms of a couple of friends to take one or brought them to the shelter, where they would be advertised for a couple of weeks and then euthanased if homes couldn't be found for them.

Unfortunately there's a bigger picture involved here.

[ 12-09-2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]