Thread: Guns.
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2002, 06:55 AM   #266
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
In the American Civil War it was brother versus brother. They fought for what they believed in. It could happen again. But by removing the right to bear arms you take away the right to fight for what you believe in. You eventually lose anything you consider a right. Speech, religion. They all become memories. Step out of line and big brother comes to take you away.

This is by far the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. "But by removing the right to bear arms you take away the right to fight for what you believe in." Say what? I'm actually quite happy with the ban on firearms for civilians in my own country (The Netherlands), I'm in the happy circumstances that I can fight for what I believe in without using weapons, but by words; and I also believe in the pacifistic way of settling differences.
WTF do weapons have to do with "fighting for what you believe in" anyways? Who's more right then? The person with the biggest gun?
You're sketching exactly the kind of atmosphere I'm glad doesn't exist over here in my country. That you actually need guns just in case you need it to push a point (which is what you are saying, basically)... You're making it sound like you live in a constant cold war with whoever disagrees with you... You call that a life?
I may not bear any firearms, but the way you are portraying it, I'm only more glad that I don't. If the right with bearing firearms comes with the kind of paranoid situation in which you actually think you will need those guns sooner or later and have them closeby because you think you will need them to "fight for what you believe in", I'm sooo happy that I don't live in a similar situation.
Actually, I think you just made me feel glad I live in the Netherlands and not in the US. [img]tongue.gif[/img]