View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #64
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Anti-piracy or anti-customer ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
You are misinformed on the subject, Micah. A handful of pirated games do run into a couple of problems on the first couple of days they get pirated. But those gets fixed in a matter of days. Now if the version of the game in question is an early beta copy that is different, but it as simple to fix for a pirate as waiting for the retail version to get out and download that.

Just go to megagames.com. All these no-cd cracks? That's the hacks. There is nothing more, nothing less. Go install one for Neverwinter Night 2 and see if you get any new bugs. You won't.
Sorry Luvian but YOU are misinformed. I said that not ALL of the hacks were bug free and while it may be possible to find hacks that do work properly it is a well documented fact that some of them do NOT. I know in fact that some of the no-cd cracks for NWN2 DO IN FACT cause problems and introduce new bugs. I deal with users who experience them all the time.

I really don't care if you believe it or not. I know it's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post

Tell me. How at all is a limited number of installations going to have any effect in stopping piracy? Give me one example where it will prevent a pirate from downloading a no-cd crack. And how about online activation? How is it preventing anyone from using a crack?
Let's see, Customer A installs the game burning ONE installation, upgrades his system burning a second and plans a second upgrade for a third installation. With a normal three activation copy protection, he's DONE. Do you think he's going to give the game away to a friend to burn one of those activations?

Online activations check the system where the game is activated, no cd cracks do NOT circumvent that. And some requires an ACTIVE internet connection which cd-cracks won't circumvent.

Can you tell me how many of those no-cd crack users already own legit copies of the game? Didn't think so. It's more than you might think. I don't have a problem with people who already own a legitimate copy of the game resorting to a no-cd crack if they so choose even though I have NEVER personally had any disc damage from ANY drm and I seriously doubt that it's a major issue. The problem with No-cd cracks is that a number of unlicensed users resort to them to get pirated copies to run.

No snappy comeback on the EULA and second sales issues? I'm disappointed.

Trying to justify Piracy for ANY reason is just silly. Whether it's because of perceived issues regarding damage to discs from DRM, limited activations, or whatever. You're an informed consumer - go to the game websites and check out what is being planned for the game BEFORE you buy it and ask in the game forums - then decide whether you want to buy the product or not. Some game designers have even started putting software protection information on their game packages to help you out. Just quit bellyaching about it.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783

Last edited by Micah Foehammer; 05-21-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote