View Single Post
Old 04-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Ever had a Lot of Nightmares?

Well, the active ingredient in stuff like Sominex is promo, a.k.a. promethazine which can cause many side-effects in people. One of them is nightmares. The reason it's not on the box is because of the way it is marketed, to loophole around the promo side-effects and just list the FDA-approved ones for Sominex.

In a nutshell, a medicine that helps you sleep but can cause nightmares is not a good selling point for a product. If you are not allergic to it, try a small dose of Benadryl for sleeping troubles (like 1/4 teaspoon) as it will make you drowsy (don't get the non-drowsy formula) and that should do the trick. Or, try an herbal tea for sleeping, they do work as I have used them for insomnia too aswell as Benadryl from time to time. Just don't overdo it.

A good calcium supplement will also help you sleep better, providing a deeper, more restful sleep, such as coral calcium or calmac, and even milk (because of the calcium and the magnesium) will assist you somewhat with this. This is why kids are served warm milk before bedtime, although the calcium w/ magnesium supp. would do the job better. Avoid anything with B vitamins in it during the evening, as these will keep you awake. Of course, so will all stimulants, sugar, caffeine, nicotine and crazy people.