View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 04:19 AM   #3
Lucern
Quintesson

Strats are nice. Don't overlook the telecaster either for a more blues sound than rock. The best thing you can do is just play some different kinds in a store, distorted, overdriven, and whatever else your pleasure. The clerks may appear annoyed, but who cares? haha

Fenders are quite common, but depending on how *good* of a guitar you want and how much you want to pay, I'd advise against getting anything with Squier on it. It's the budget version, and after you play for awhile, apparently you'll know the difference (I certainly don't know first-hand, just what I hear). Squiers are a little inside joke among guitar players for whatever reason, but other Fenders are well respected. Some turn their nose up at Ibanez too, but they're common as well (for good reason according to one of my friends).

For less common but also respectable guitars, Rickenbacker and BC Rich generally make good instruments: Rickenbacker is common in good ole rock n roll, and BC Rich is common in metal.

There are more kinds than I even care to know about, and people's choices are usually very personalized - at least by the time they get their 2nd instrument.

I don't play though hehe. I play that other instrument Fender is known for, the one he invented: the electric bass. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've got a BC Rich Warlock 5-stringer, but rest assured, I know plenty of guitarists who play various genres.

And do yourself a favor - buy another set of strings for inevitable breakage [img]smile.gif[/img] Have fun!

[ 10-27-2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Lucern ]