View Single Post
Old 01-31-2002, 12:43 AM   #71
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Hello again, Roxi.
Glad to see you here. That's really what I had in mind when I started this thread.....Posting an open Welcome where new members could come in and say "hello" while senior members could Post some snazzy "welcomes" without having to re-do the HTML code for each greeting.

Then the thread sorta took on a life of its' own and strayed off-topic a bit.

But you can generally expect the type of response you and Strider23 received in his thread. I passed over that thread 3-4 times before finally taking a peek...just out of curiosity. Since the titles don't always let us know that it is a "newbie" posting, it can be easy to overlook some.

And Sazerac,
I'm normally never as grumpy as I was at the beginning of this Post. Like I said, it had been a long day and I had felt like crap all day long...then I turn on the PC to find my "well-intentioned-but-perhaps-poorly-thought-out" thread being slammed almost immediately. It just wasn't the kind of Response I expected and it really hit me the wrong way. AH WELL, no harm done.

I do have mixed feelings about the thread though. It's been my most "successful" thread by far (I think I've gotten more responses here than to ALL of my other threads combined), but it hasn't gone the way I envisioned it.

I was serious about the possibility of the Mods Posting a Sticky Welcome in the various forums. You know where it would be most effective, it might encourage more "newbies" to "stick around" (get it..."stick around"....uh, why are you groaning instead of laughing?), AND - last but not least - it would eliminate multiple members posting Welcome threads every few days/weeks/etc.

Cerek, the Welcome Posts are a regular thing (check back.. Many folk have done them but I've done most generic ones) and they sticky thing worked for a while but Z found it slows the forum down. So your idea was right on the money and is standard GD and IW practice! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy