Thread: Guns.
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2002, 08:47 AM   #234
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
This is going way off topic (sorry) but just a thought-

Do you still have freedom of speech when a lot of what you say can end up getting your ass sued because people have the freedom to sue you?

This isn't a comment on freedom of speech, but was wondering how people viewed this. In my book, that isn't really freedom of speech - or is it? Bah, perhaps this should go in a new thread.

FWIW, we don't have a right to freedom of speech in the UK, although not a lot is made of that really. It's illegal to publish an incitement to racial hatred or holocaust denial.
having a right (at least in the US) does not free you from the accountability of exercising that right, we have to accept responsibility for our actions...yes I know that isnt very popular these days but it is true. It isnt just true about speech, if you abuse your right to bear arms, you also have to accept those consequences.

As for the Law in the UK about it being illegal to deny the holocaust..that just strikes me as soooooo wrong...I mean what next? outlaw stupidity? They would loose their tax base in a hurry. I know I owuld chafe under such restrictions, not because I WOULD deny the holocaust happened (I know it did) but just the fact that there is a law saying I can't say anything about it.....very bad in my opinion.