View Single Post
Old 05-25-2001, 06:21 PM   #8
Axterix
Manshoon

Hehe, if you don't have a bard in the party, identify is very useful. But if you do, it's pointless. However, early on, well, before Kuldahar there's about 1 item to identify (from the chest). It can wait... and putting a few orcs to sleep can make a few of those fights much easier.

As for magic missile, how can you not find that useful? 1 casting time, 5 hits once you get high enough level... 5d4 +5 damage, not too shabby for a level 1 spell. Basically, the moment a bad guy tries to cast, you just pause, select your mage and tell him to MM the bad guy and then unpause. Will almost always interrupt. Second time I played through the game, my wizzy had 2 rings that doubled level 1 and 2 spells... that's a lot of level 1 spells, and they were all identify and magic missile... though chromatic orb made up the 3rd most common and eventually pulled even with MM as it replaced the identifies.

Hehe, and as for armor, well, suffice it to say my mage, in the end, shelved his ac 3 robe for an ac 5 one... simply because it gave 1 hp regen per 5 rounds. Was more useful to let him heal the occassional hit than have lower AC. The motto of my mages is "He who runs away lives to fireball anything dumb enough to quit chasing."
Axterix is offline   Reply With Quote