View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 04:24 PM   #250
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
No worries, MagiK. Doesn't sound harsh at all! You are just explaining your viewpoint, as I did mine, and as Silver and Dio did!

Experience: Of course I cannot speak for anyone else - though I DO know Silver Cheetah has travelled a fair bit and has not just been to 'tourist' places, either.

I myself have only been out of the UK once, so I do not have that experience to fall back on. All I have is TV footage. Not much to go on, no. There is nothing like seeing things 'in the flesh', I agree.

But, really, you know, I have had SOME experience of the horrors of this world. I lived through World War 2 in an area that suffered serious bombing. Even as a child I saw much that it would have been better not to see. Fear that my parents might not come home was not the least of it. And middle eastern countries have been subjected to much more than the UK was in WW2.

You think that idealism and reality are opposites. But they are not. Realism/idealism is the SAME THING. You are thinking of idealism as being all about starry-eyed 'love', yes?
Idealism isn't like that! Its dead practical. It means looking at needsand then taking steps to provide those needs. The richer looking out for the poorer. That is what Christianity AND Islam both teach and it is sensible, practical and of benefit to us all. (And btw, I'm an atheist!)
What the 'realistic' West has been doing is seeing OUR wants and grabbing them because we are bigger and stronger, and thus we have damned the weaker. We are now reaping the rewards of that 'realistic', unidealistic attitude.
Idealism IS realism at its most practical. 'Realism' as we have practiced it is VERY unrealistic and impractical.
Truce?

Hmmm Ill have to ponder what you said about idealism and realism, not sure I agree but I can at least think about it I can to a (very) limited extent sympathize with what you had to live through in the 40's I would say, that what sicks with me the most out of the "horrors" Ive been exposed to isn't the visual, I think I learned to be detached from the sights...what still sticks with me and visits me in my dreams some times are the smells. Kind of odd that.

As for Islam and Chritianity...while admittedly fairly ignorant of Islamic law what I do know of both would seem to me that there would be an easy "live and let live" if people actullay follow the core tennants.... Well I have to go get some sleep, been on the go too many hours today. Good night fair lady.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.